People get around most effectively with shoes, which come in many colors, styles and looks. Shoes can be both fun and functional, so why can’t wheelchairs? July is National Wheelchair Beautification Month, where those who partially or completely rely on their wheelchair to get around can spend some time making them stylish, comfortable and fun. Family caregivers can help their elderly relatives get a kick out of participating in National Wheelchair Beautification Month.
What is National Wheelchair Beautification Month?
When someone is confined to a wheelchair, they are usually dealing with a disability, illness or injury. Losing the ability to walk well can be a serious blow to self-esteem and independence. However, just because an elderly person relies on a wheelchair doesn’t mean they’ve lost their personality or their ability to have fun.
Family caregivers and home care providers can assist the aging adult in decorating their wheelchair and attending many of the senior-oriented events set up in communities around the country. Many organizations host contests, parades and other celebrations to help those who are confined to wheelchairs feel appreciated and admired.
Ideas for Decorating Wheelchairs
There are plenty of decorating ideas that seniors can use to participate in National Wheelchair Beautification Month. The elderly adult can come up with the idea and get their family caregiver and home care provider to help. Many seniors like getting grandchildren involved in their wheelchair beautification efforts as well. No matter what, it’s a fun way for the elderly adults to express themselves through their wheelchair and its accessories.
Here are just a few ways that seniors can spruce up their wheelchairs and make them a one-of-a-kind showpiece during National Wheelchair Beautification Month and beyond.
- Attach a florist’s water tube to the back or side of the chair for fresh flowers.
- Tie colorful scarves around key spots like the handles and the back of the seat.
- Cut out playful shapes from colorful contact paper to attach to the flat surfaces.
- Find fun bicycle spoke decorations and use them on the spokes of the wheelchair.
- Order commercial wheelchair accessories like drink holders, decorative pouches and even cell phone holders.
- Thread battery-operated light strands around the wheels and seat.
- Let family caregivers and home care providers thread ribbons or streamers into the wheels.
- Apply patterned tape to the metal surfaces for an instant color boost.
- Go crazy with a theme, such as “Tropical” using grass skirts, faux hibiscus flowers and pineapples.
- Take a patriotic approach and use traditional Independence Day décor to celebrate July in multiple ways.
It’s important that seniors who are wheelchair-bound get the chance to have a device that feels comfortable and looks good. Family caregivers and home care providers should help elderly adults with their wheelchairs so that the person’s personality shines through. Getting involved in community events that celebrate National Wheelchair Beautification Month is an excellent opportunity to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING IN-HOMECARE IN CLIVE, IA, CONTACT GOLDEN HEART SENIOR CARE OF DES MOINES, IA AT 515-631-5033. OUR CARING STAFF CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!